RIDE Data Quality Initiative
Plan of Action
The RIDE Data Quality Initiative (DQI) is a multi-phase plan to
improve the quality of data used by educators in Rhode Island. This work
is part of the State Longitudinal Data System
grant. It consists of four components this year:
- A four-phase structure over the course of the year adding a new dataset or collection focus with each phase (see timeline below)
- Indicators for each dataset or collection that reveal DQ issues at RIDE and LEA levels
- LEAs sorted into groups based on the existence and/or severity of DQ issues
- Differentiated supports and resources developed that are tailored to the needs of each group
For more information, download the
flyer about RIDE's Data Quality Initiative.
Data Quality Continuum
Data quality efforts can be understood to impact a continuum of processes undertaken at all system levels.
This continuum provides a natural organizing structure for training and communicating with stakeholders around
improving data quality. When considering data quality initiatives, it is important to understand that improving
data quality at the source reduces cost and difficulty and that data quality checks should take place at every
stage along the way to provide the greatest accuracy.
National Data Quality Standards (what good data look like)
- Accuracy (data are recorded correctly)
- Completeness (all relevant data are recorded)
- Uniqueness (each entity is recorded only once)
- Timeliness (data are kept up to date)
- Consistency (data agrees with itself)